Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Divine Gift

If you were to come into our home and sit down for a bit, a common word would be ringing through your ears. Lizzy, Liiizzzzzzzyyyyy, LIZZY! said in many different ways, fast and slow, high or low, soft and hard. Each being the same word and yet with so many different meanings behind the way it's said. Elizabeth Grace Ellsworth came into our lives December 11th, 2008. Since then its been late nights, early mornings, ewes and ahhs, and a few "hold your nose" moments sprinkled in-between.
Grace, being her middle name came from outta nowhere. My wife came up with it first and I instinctively replied "no". We argued about it for sometime, my reasoning being that neither one of us had a relative named Grace. Her reasoning being it sounded pretty. It wasn't until I was sitting in class one day that I had decided to look up the word grace. (I had gotten bored with the teachers lecture and decided to do something to stimulate the brain.) It's definition surprised me and frankly was a slap to the face. Once again proving that the wife is always right.
Grace: A divine gift from God to help or strengthen, given through the bounteous mercy and love of Jesus Christ. King James Bible, Bible Dictionary, Grace, pg. 697.
I know it may seem silly to think of a crying baby, who's scared of just about everything, finds her way into everything, and eats everything, would seem like a great gift. However I must say there are some great gifts she has given our little family.
Lizzy is always happy to see me, even when I'm not necessarily thrilled to be up at 2 a.m. to see her.
Even when I get frustrated with her, she responds by smiling back at me and singing for me at the top of her lungs.
While I spend money shopping for the juiciest burger at the nearest fast-food restaurant and then try to cook new things so that I don't have to eat the same thing two days in a row, she is excited to receive her same old mush everyday at the exact same time.
I spend time and money looking for ways to entertain myself through movies, TV, video games, books, internet, sports, and more. She spends her time looking for her purple hippo.
I look for the newest electronic gadget or gizmo, LCD TV, Playstation 3, ipod, netbook, and more to add to my wish list. I think she's still just looking for her purple hippo.
She really is a divine gift, a humbling gift, a bring me back to reality gift, attached with a scream and a giggle.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet memories Sam. You are right1 Babies are the best and we can learn so much from them. Your short story about Lizzy is a keeper. Keep writing Sam.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete